18 December 2006

Jimmy Carter and Anti-Semitism

I'm reading Jimmy Carter's new book, Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid. I've only completed the first few chapters but I don't see what all the outrage is about; it's been pretty mild so far. I don't see why people are calling Carter an anti-Semite. Then again, endorsing anything that shows Israel in a less than positive light qualifies as anti-Semitism. Critics of Israel and of people who happen to be Jewish are silenced and accused of anti-Semitism. It's not just racism. It's worse. Anti-Semitism. Charges of anti-Semitism can ruin your career. Just ask Mel Gibson. Of course, other religions and countries are made fun of all the time. But they don't matter. They didn't go through a tragic genocide that now allows them to be blameless for whatever they do (I have no intention of belittling the horrors of the Holocaust but, quite frankly, it does not excuse Israel's murder of others).

...And I guess that rant makes me an anti-Semite too. If it does, then that just proves my point. But honestly, can we not have an honest discussion without the fear of being branded anti-Semites? Enough of the oversensitivity and paranoia!

1 Comments:

At 7:33 PM , Blogger solid ground said...

Mel Gibson's "career"*seems to be just fine. Accusing the Jews (Israel) of "murder"....? I didn't know that killing someone in self defense was murder**.The only Mainstream religion I can think of that "everybody" makes fun of is Christianity. Try putting your "real" name on an article and make fun of the Muslim religeon. What ? no takers ? Whatever happened to documentation? And why do you review a book after reading only the first two chapters ?


* Apocalypto
** Websters dictionary

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home